Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I like my.....

Apparently, my kindergardener had an assignment where they had to finish the sentence, "I like my....." and then had to draw whatever they picked. As depicted below, my son decided he likes large sombrero like hats. Who knew?! Anyway, it got me thinking... everyone likes different things. Especially when it's cold outside, it just seems the perfect time to pull out all of those yummy soup and/or chili recipes.

Potato soup has always been a favorite of mine and holds many memories of growing up.  Particularly on Halloween night, my mom would make a big pot of potato soup before we would head out trick or treating.  Talking to her today, she told me my dad is wanting potato soup almost every day for dinner lately... which she thinks is CRAZY; not me... I'm with you dad.  I like my potato soup too !   This recipe is a little different, but it did not disappoint.  The added veggies were obviously a plus but also, the ham lends a subtle smoky flavor.  Delicious ! 

So what have we learned today boys and girls?  To each his own I suppose.  You say potaTOE, I say potato, and Grant likes LARGE hats.  Alrighty then !  Stay warm everyone !

Cream of Potato Soup
8 potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, diced
a few sprinkles of onion powder
1 stalks of celery, diced (or substitute a little celery salt)
1 cup diced ham
5 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 TB dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup margarine
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup sour cream

Add everything except milk, cheese, and sour cream to a Crock Pot. Cook soup on high for 5-6 hours. Add milk, cheese, and sour cream 30 minutes before serving. Stir well to blend.


No comments:

Post a Comment