Saturday, April 6, 2013

Oxymorons....

The dictionary definition of oxymoron is:- "A rhetorical figure of speech in which contradictory terms are paired, for example, alone together, current history or boneless ribs." I decided accidentally on purpose to title this post "Oxymorons" because of the name of my favorite meatloaf recipe which I will be sharing with you today. It is called "Daddy's Favorite Meatloaf" which in our family is a little big oxymoron because the daddy in THIS house would not eat meatloaf if his life depended on it. Sometimes I think the man would give his right arm to be ambidextrous. Not that we have had any friendly fights regarding this subject matter, however I think it would be easier to convince ME to eat jumbo shrimp than it would be to get him to try my meatloaf. (If you've read my past posts, you'll remember my strong feelings towards seafood, but I digress. Moving right along, this is my absolute favorite meatloaf recipe because of the tangy mixture of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar glaze that gives it a barbeque flavor. It's great served hot or cold on sandwiches. And in the big scheme of things, I guess it's not the end of the world if this isn't MY children's daddy's favorite meatloaf. Afterall, we must remember that we're all unique just like everyone else. Bon Appetite !

(someone's) DADDY'S FAVORITE MEATLOAF

1 cup quick oats
2 eggs
1/3 cup ketchup
1 pkg beefy onion dry soup mix
1/2 cup water
2 TB Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup frozen shredded hashbrowns
2 cups lean ground beef

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; stir in remaining ingrediants except meat. Add meat and mix well. Pat mixture into a standard size loaf pan or two small loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Topping Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TB mustard

Mix together and spread on meatloaf after it has cooked for one hour. Cook an additional 15 minutes and then remove from oven to cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment