Sunday, March 25, 2012

Doublemint




"Double your pleasure, double the fun!" Anyone remember that gum commercial ? Even if you don't, you can still benefit from this post because I'm giving you 2 for the price of 1 because I have kind of dropped the ball on blogging. I promise you, I have been cooking and yes, my family has been eating...PROMISE ! I just haven't taken the time to sit down and share. So here for your viewing pleasure are two recipes I made recently. I think both are equally delicious. Give them a try and let me know what you think. (disclaimer) I'm not weighing in on how my family reacted to these because I'm determined to keep with the upbeat nature of the fun inspiring Doublemint gum jingle. All that matters is, I like these recipes and I think you will too !


MEXICAN PIZZA
1 6 oz can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 pkg taco seasoning mix, divided
1 tsp chili powder
1 16 oz can fat free refried beans
onion powder to taste
1/3 cup salsa
1/2 lb ground beef
shredded cheddar cheese
Premade pizza crust (I like Boboli brand or Frescheta whole wheat)

This recipe makes 2 pizzas so I usually freeze half of the above topping ingrediants and use later.

In a small bowl mix tomato paste, water, chili powder, and 3/4 pkg of taco seasoning; set aside. In another bowl mix refried beans, salsa, and a couple of sprinkles of onion powder; set aside. Cook ground beef and drain. Season with remaining 1/4 pkg of taco seasoning and a small amount of water to mix together well. Simmer a couple of minutes and remove from heat.

Spread a layer of the bean mixture onto crust, then a layer of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with hamburger meat and top with cheese. Bake to pizza crust pkg directions. Then top with your favorite taco toppings- shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, etc. So yummy!

BBQ Chicken Pizza Roll Up
1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
barbeque sauce
shredded cheese

Mix chicken with barbeque sauce to taste. On a lightly floured surface roll crust out into a rectangle. Spread the chicken mixture onto the dough and then top with cheese. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Can top with a little melted butter or cooking spray and then sprinkle on some garlic powder. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment