Monday, February 20, 2012

WEST SIDE STORY SOUP !


Why would I name this soup after a famous musical you ask ? Because as I ladeled it into the bowl, I could almost hear it's delicious soupy soul singing out..."I feel pretty....oh so pretty, I feel pretty, and witty, and bright...and I pity...any girl who isn't eating me tonight". Okay so that may be stretching it, but seriously I'm a sucker for "pretty looking food" and this dish gets my vote for prettiest soup. I love the little bowtie pasta, colorful beans, and slices of bright orange carrots peeking at me from a rich and velvety tomato base....and did I mention it was pretty darn tasty as well ? Okay, I'm going to try not to use the adjective "pretty" anymore during this blog...PROMISE.

This soup was actually a gift that was given to me in a layered jar mix and the only variation on the recipe I made was to add some cooked chicken and omitting the celery and onion that it originally called for. Perfect rainy day meal and now if I could only convince my family to sit down for a particular viewing of the above mentioned movie....well, I'd better not get my pretty little hopes up...

ITALIAN SOUP

1/2 cup dried pinto beans
1/2 cup pink beans
1/2 cup dried kidney beans
1 cup small bowtie pasta, uncooked
1 T dried parsley
1 T chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried, minced garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
8 cups water
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup chopped carrot

Pour beans into a glass mixing bowl and cover with water; let soak overnight or at least 8 hours. Rinse and pour into a big pot. Add water, crushed tomatoes, seasonings, and carrots. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 2 hours. Uncover and gently boil until thickened, about 35 minutes. Stir in pasta and heat until tender about 12 minutes. I served this with cornbread muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment