Monday, February 27, 2012

Microwave to the rescue....



I normally do not do a lot of actual cooking in my microwave. I have a "warm it up only" kind of relationship with this handy device. However, today was just one of those days where cooking dinner was quickly losing the battle between the two little animations on my shoulder...the angel saying..."cook dinner, make the healthy choice"....the pitchfork welding prankster saying, "order pizza....Pizza PIZZA PIZZA !" So, luckily I actually had planned to try something new this week and holy guacamole, it was a microwave meal and let me tell you...it was DELISH ! I'm happy to share it with you and envision cooking this meal often in the summer months when turning on an oven is out of the question with this Oklahoma heat.

SPICY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE

2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed and sprinkled with a little onion powder
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1 14.5 oz can mild rotel tomatoes
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1/4 cup water
3 TB salsa
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup shredded low fat cheese

Saute chicken in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray until no longer pink. Add rest of ingrediants except cheese. Stir together and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Bake in microwave 15-20 minutes until rice is done. Sprinkle with cheese and allow to stand a few minutes before serving.

(I only put in half the beans hoping to get "half" as many complaints from my bean haters).... This recipe is absolutely yummy and spicy and so easy ! I think it would be great as a burrito filling, nacho topper, or even taco salad topper. Try it and let me know what you think !

No comments:

Post a Comment