Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Salsa Swiss Steak and Baked Zucchini Chips



Tonight I tried a new slow cooker recipe and I'm afraid the reviews are not raving. I've decided to go ahead and post it, however, I am in search of a swing vote to finalize the decision on whether this is a pass or fail plate. As luck would have it, I'm having a weekly lunch date with my friend Stacy tomorrow who comes by each week after she and her son go to a Bible study. We have lunch, our boys play, and we catch up. Hope she doesn't mind me volunteering her taste buds ! So I will keep you posted. As a side note I absolutely love the zucchini chips. Tonight I varied the recipe by adding taco seasoning to the coating mixture to accompany the flavor of the salsa steak. Again, this dish got mixed reviews with one Perry still at the table trying to coax it down. My 4 year old however liked it and said "I like the crummy ones", which of course earned him laughs from the Perry pair who weren't in agreement with the zucchini side option.

SLOW COOKER SALSA SWISS STEAK

2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless beef tip round steak
salt and pepper
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup thick and chunky salsa

Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Cook steak in skillet 4-6 minutes per side until lightly browned turning once. Transfer to slow cooker and mix together soup and salsa and pour on top. Cook on low for 4-5 hours until fork tender.

BAKED ZUCCHINI CHIPS

2 med or 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs and add seasonings to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tb grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In small bowl combine the dry ingrediants and dip zucchini in egg white and then coating mixture. Place on a greased sheet pan and spray zucchini with cooking spray.
Bake for 5 minutes, turn over, spray other side with cooking spray, and bake for another 5-10 minutes until brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment